Time to read
3 minutes
Read so far

Report of positive case premature

0 comments

By Donnie A. Lucas

A positive case of COVID-19 reported to city officials in good faith by an employer on behalf of an employee Tuesday turned out to be premature, leaving the status of the case unclear at press time.

The employee is sheltering in place and not requiring hospitalization, according to the information reported to Albany mayor pro tem Susan Montgomery.

Two separate announcements were made over the city emergency call system on Tuesday, one concerning the  “positive” case and a second informing residents of a lessening of restrictions starting Friday.

“The city acted on the information we were given at the time about a positive case,” Montgomery said. “We now understand that the results were not complete.”

Montgomery did not have specific information about the reported case, other than to say that the person self-reported to her employer, who in turn notified the city. It was later reported that the employee tested positive for antibodies, but was still awaiting the results of a swab test to determine a positive case of COVID-19.

The person was reportedly tested in Abilene and not through either of the two testing sites at local health clinics in Albany.

The employer reported that other personnel who might have had contact with the person have been notified and are self-monitoring.

As more testing locations open in the area, including pop-up locations, Montgomery said that it will become more difficult to determine the actual number of tests that have been administered to county residents.

“We are not going to be able to keep an exact count when testing is done outside the county,” the mayor said. “The two local clinics report the number of tests and results to us, but outside sites do not.”

Vickie Street, chief operating officer of Resource Care, said Tuesday that only tests ordered by or performed at the two county clinics are actually reported back to local officials.

“Positive results will be reported to the regional health department and those should come back to the officials in charge at some point, but we will not get any personal information to help with tracking exposure within the community,” she said.

Adding to confusion about the number of tests given, the Texas Department of State Health Services website reports 400+ tests have been administered to county residents, presumably in Taylor or other surrounding counties.

The actual number of tests that have been reported by the two local clinics is still less than 15.

Phased-In Plan

Montgomery said that the City of Albany will be opening up as instructed by the governor in his phased-in plan to reopen the Texas economy.

“That doesn’t mean that a business must open back up yet,” she said. “That will be up to individual business owners.”

As part of Phase I of the governor’s plan, all businesses including restaurants are allowed to open with limitations starting Friday, May 1. Counties with five and less positive cases will be allowed to operate at 50 percent of capacity, while counties with more than five cases are limited to 25 percent.

County Judge Robert Skelton said Wednesday that he is submitting the required application certifying that the county has five or fewer cases so the occupancy rate can be increased to 50 percent.

The governor emphasized that Phase II, which is planned for Monday, May 18, can only happen if the number of cases continues to hold steady or declines over the next two weeks.

Montgomery stressed that residents should still use all precautions recommended, especially using masks or face coverings.

“We are opening up like the governor announced,” Montgomery said. “However, we still need to be very aware of social distancing, covering our face, and washing our hands. We need to limit our exposure as much as possible and use common sense.”

Elderly residents and people with compromised health conditions should continue to shelter in place and protect themselves as much as possible.

“We have got to show self-discipline and make the tough decisions that protect us all at this time,” she said.

Phase I Guidance

Included in the businesses that can open starting Friday are all retail stores and restaurants. 

Again, counties with five or fewer cases can operate at 50 percent of capacity, while those with more cases are limited to 25 percent.

The lifting of restrictions also applies to museums and libraries; however, hands-on exhibits are not allowed.

Churches were also mentioned as able to expand their capacity, while practicing safe distancing and other guidelines.

Montgomery said that she is aware of at least two local churches that are planning more than one service on Sunday to accommodate worshippers in numbers less than 50 percent of capacity. 

The governor’s announcement also included opening outdoor sports, but put a limit of four participants in a group at this time. 

All doctors, nurses, and dentists are allowed to return to work on Friday, but hospitals must reserve at least 15 percent of capacity for possible COVID-19 patients.

Businesses still not allowed to open at this time include hair , nail, and massage salons, barber shops, bars, and gyms.

Montgomery was attempting to talk to restaurant owners personally as of Monday. She reported that Dairy Queen will keep their dining room closed at this point per a corporate directive. They will continue to provide meals to go.

The Albany Donut Shop will also serve customers at the drive-through only at this time.

“The true test for us will be opening up these businesses while keeping the spread of the virus at bay,” the mayor said. “We just need to remain disciplined and cautious.”