Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Traffic continues to overwhelm rural roads

0 comments
Traffic continues to overwhelm rural roads

Shackelford County Commissioners Court met Monday, Jan. 12, approving new traffic restrictions in the Hamby area and continuing discussion on safety concerns at a busy highway intersection.

No-thru-traffic signs approved

Following discussion of increased traffic in the Hamby area, the court unanimously approved the installation of “No Thru Traffic” signage on County Roads 150 and 151.

Commissioner Cody Jordan said the roads are being heavily used as a cut-through, causing deterioration and safety concerns. The signs will include notice of fines up to $500 for violations. Deputies will enforce the restriction by requiring motorists who are stopped to provide proof that they live on the affected roads. Drivers unable to show proof of residency will be subject to a citation.

Intersection concerns continue

The court also discussed ongoing traffic issues at the intersection of U.S. Highway 351 and FM 604, where commissioners said drivers, including heavy trucks, continue to disregard stoplights and stop signs.

No action was taken, though commissioners emphasized the need for increased enforcement and coordination with the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Service yard planned for data-center

contractor

David Stack, representing Cresa Real Estate and contracted by Volta Grid, the construction company overseeing the Frontier Data Center project, provided an update on plans to build a temporary gravel service yard on a 25-acre tract.

Stack said the yard will be used to park trucks and generators and to assemble and test equipment. The project will include gravel surfaces, office trailers and storage containers, with no permanent buildings planned in the initial phase. Future plans could include a permanent service facility to refurbish generators used at the data center.

No action was taken, as the item was for discussion only.

Burn ban

remains in place

County Judge John Viertel reported that the current burn ban remains in effect and is scheduled to expire Feb. 4. The Keetch-Byram Drought Index was reported at 535 out of 800, and a renewed disaster declaration from the governor continues to list Shackelford County due to fire conditions. No action was taken.

Jordan resignation

accepted

Commissioners accepted the resignation of Precinct 4 Commissioner Cody Jordan, effective Jan. 31.

Viertel said he will appoint an interim commissioner during the final week of January, with the appointee to be sworn in Feb. 2. Anyone interested in the interim appointment is asked to contact the county judge’s office before the end of the month.

Court authorizes purchase of transport vehicle

The court approved a motion authorizing up to $35,000 for the purchase of a vehicle to support the Walker-Sayle Community Service program. Commissioner Lanham Martin and Judge Viertel were authorized to locate and complete the purchase.

Commissioners discussed options including vans and SUVs, noting the need for a vehicle capable of transporting multiple individuals.

Vantage Data Center scholarship

extensions approved

Commissioners approved two extensions related to the Vantage Data Center project.

The first grants a variance on fire-training requirements, allowing the delay of training until structures are completed. The variance applies only to 2026, with completion projected by Sept. 30.

The second allows the project to fund its scholarship obligation by Jan. 30, 2026. The agreement calls for 10 scholarships of $1,000 each per year for Shackelford County students, administered through the Community Foundation of Abilene.