Time to read
2 minutes
Read so far

Hospital board splits on decision to overturn reprimand

0 comments
Hospital board splits on decision to overturn reprimand

By Melinda L. Lucas

Disciplinary action issued by the hospital board on a split vote in November was rescinded, also with a split vote, during Monday’s meeting of the Shackelford County Hospital District directors.

Board president Jason Price referred the agenda discussion to Jo Ann Estridge, commenting that she had requested that the item to “Rescind/Uphold Mateo Millan’s Verbal Disciplinary Action 11/18/24” be placed on last night’s agenda.

“I hope that this is the last time we will discuss this,” Estridge said. “That meeting was a mess, and there were some hurt feelings that came out of it.”

She went on to say that she feels that the formal verbal warning should not have happened in the first place and that it should be reversed so it won’t be a part of Millan’s permanent record.

Price, who had originally recommended that the EMS director be put on “administrative leave without pay,” disagreed.

“The insubordination came from ignoring my email request for information,” Price said. “He could have responded and said something – anything. He didn’t respond.”

Although a portion of the discussion was tense, directors kept their composure, and there were no outbursts as there have been in some previous meetings.

Annette Harris commented that once the board made a decision, it should stand, and reversing the motion could have detrimental effects in the future.

Millan said that this was the first reprimand of his career, and since he feels it was undeserved, it is important to him that it be removed, he said.

“I don’t want to beat it anymore,” Millan said. “I will leave it alone [after tonight’s decision].”

He added later that he “may not have handled it in the correct way.”

Maggie Viertel asked for better communication between employees and directors, as did Harris.

“There has been a lot of anger and hurt feelings,” Viertel said. “I hope that is behind us now, but this is residue of that time.”

Estridge then made a motion to rescind the verbal disciplinary action against Mateo Millan, with a second from James Breeden. The motion passed on a 3-2 vote, with Estridge, Breeden, and Viertel in favor, and Harris and Mike Folsom against.

Millan Contract

The board later went into closed session to consider a contract for the EMS director, which Millan had requested.

After discussing the document that Millan submitted for consideration, the directors reopened the meeting and on a motion by Folsom, seconded by Estridge, they tabled any decision until the contract can be reviewed by the district’s legal counsel.

Other Business

•District secretary Regina Whitt announced that there would be an election May 3, and that a drawing for places on the ballot is scheduled for 10:00 a.m. Feb. 24.

•Michelle Alexander’s resignation was “formally” accepted by the board, and both Price and Whitt verified that a text message is now considered acceptable as a written document. The resignation was accepted by the board president when it was sent on Jan. 20.

•District administrator Brandi Green presented information about new scheduling/time tracking software that could be used by both the EMS and clinic, with plans to place the item on the next agenda.

•There was no action on approving or amending the final 2024 budget, with several board members concerned because the figures are “skewed.” Harris said that she had talked to Dan Neff about the numbers.

•During a public forum time, Mena Aguilar expressed concern about employee W2s that reportedly didn’t get sent to the IRS by the accountant last year, with several employees having to defend their employment by the district.